

Today in science we began learning about physical properties of matter, such as color, state of matter, (solid, liquid, or gas), boiling point, and freezing point. To explore some of these physical properties of matter, we made ice cream. Dan enjoyed following the recipe and mixing the ingredients in a zip-lock bag. We put the small zip-lock containing the cream, sugar, and vanilla inside of a larger zip-lock with ice and a splash of water. Dan really liked the measuring the temperature of the ice water with a digital thermometer. Then we added rock salt to the ice water, and measured the temperature again. Dan found that the temperature dropped quite a bit after adding the rock salt. This is because the salt ions interfere with the weak bonds between the water molecules, lowering the freezing point of the water and making it "supercooled." This supercooled solution is good for making ice cream, but Dan found that he preferred the creamier texture of store-bought ice cream to the "icier" texture of our homemade ice cream. Hmmm. More experimentation may be required... - Erica
Hey Dan,
ReplyDeleteI like your new glasses. I think they look great. I remember doing this same thing when I was in school, and I actually did it again when I was at BYU. You seem to be learning a lot. I'm proud of you and love you.
Love
Steven
Thanks, Steven. ILY (i love you). Have fun in D.C. I am wondering (and so is Erica) why you did the ice cream experiment at BYU. Did you do it for a class there?
ReplyDeleteLove, Dan
We did it in chemistry at the end of the semester for fun.
ReplyDeleteHello Dan
ReplyDeleteSo, did the ice cream taste good. You really get to do some very cool stuff with Ms. Erica
I hope to meet her soon.
Tobi;o)
Hey Dan, I'm jelous you got to make ice cream. Ice cream is my favorite food in the world. I hope you ate an extra scoop for me. I like your new glasses. I wear contact lenses. I bet you didn't know that. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteUncle Chris
Hi, Dan. I want you to know how handsome you look in glasses. I wish I looked as good in my glasses as you do in yours! I hear that your teachers have been sick lately so you have missed some school. Are you happy or sad about that? Did you go trick or treating? I think I was about your age when my mom and dad wouldn't let me go anymore. love, lani
ReplyDelete