




Today we learned about chemical properties, specifically pH, which is a measure of how many excess hydrogen or hydroxide ions are in a solution. Solutions with excess hydrogen are sour, corrode metals, and they turn cabbage juice red. Bases have excess hydroxide and are bitter, slippery, and are often used in cleansers. They turn cabbage juice blue, green, or yellow. Water is neutral. Neutral substances turn cabbage juice purple. Cabbage juice itself is purple. We had a great time testing some household substances to see if they were acid, base, or neutral.
Then Dan got to play Alien Juice Bar, a game to test our knowledge of acids, bases, and neutrals. This was the first computer game Dan has gotten to play at school this year. He loved it. Dan and Erica
Then Dan got to play Alien Juice Bar, a game to test our knowledge of acids, bases, and neutrals. This was the first computer game Dan has gotten to play at school this year. He loved it. Dan and Erica
How fun! I remember testing the pH of things when I was in school, using litmus paper. It was my favorite thing we did in science that year. But, I didn't do that until 9th grade...you must be a science wiz!
ReplyDeletekk
Wow, look at all those beautiful colors! It looks like you're getting ready to dye Easter eggs! I missed all the fun! mom
ReplyDeleteI wonder what this Erica person looks like. I've, strangely, never seen her picture on this blog, although she writes extensively. Hmmmm.... maybe soon she will post a photo of herself doing her wonderful scientific magic with Dan.................?????????
ReplyDeleteHey Danny,
ReplyDeleteHow are you? that experiment sounds pretty cool. I have to feed my hamster cabage. She loves it. That would be pretty cool to try that experimenton the cabage. Blue, green, yellow, and red cabage. that's cool
your cousin, Paige