We've been reading a book series by Terry Pratchett. The cool thing about this series is that the author has made up his own language. For instance:Crivens! - A general exclamation that can mean anything from "My goodness," to "I've just lost my temper and there's going to be trouble."
Bigjobs - Human beings.
Blethers - Rubbish, nonsense.
Geas - A very important obligation, backed up by tradition and magic. Not a bird.
Hiddlins - Secrets.
Mudlin - Useless person.
Scuggan - a really unpleasant person.
Scunner - A generally unpleasant person.
Ships - Wooly things that eat grass and go baa. Easily confused with the other kind.
The best thing about this book series is that it is exciting and funny. We are going to start the last book, "I Shall Wear Midnight," as soon as Erica can pick it up from the library. I highly recommend these.
Dan,
ReplyDeleteHow fun to create your own language...I can think of many occasions where that could come in handy! Your review makes me want to read Terry Pratchett. I also love the title of your next book, "I Shall Wear Midnight." Intriguing! Has Erica picked it up from the library yet? I'll be anxious to read your next review (no pressure)!
Your mom told me about your site quite some time ago. At the time, I couldn't figure out how to get a google account. Lame, I know. Then, life got unusual for a time, and I am back to normal and so I thought, "I'll check out Dan's blog!" I'm so glad I did, because it is so interesting. I am going to share it with my son, Will, if that is o.k. I think you two have similar interests.
Cynthia
Dan,
ReplyDeleteI just realized you wrote this a year ago! Well, surely you have read "I Shall Wear Midnight" by now...tell me, did you like it?
Cynthia