Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yummmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!


We have been studying plant and animal cells. Above is a picture of a leaf slide, showing plant cells, as seen under my microscope.

Besides looking at cells under the microscope, we decided to make a model cell. I decided to make a model plant cell because it had more parts. I decided to make my model out of jello and candy because it would be delicious, and I'm hungry. The cell wall was made of the pan, because it is hard and rigid and kind of squared-off like the cells in the picture above. The cell membrane was made of Froot Roll-Ups because it is soft and flexible. The cytoplasm is made of Jello, because it is a jelly-like liquid that suspends the parts of the cell. The nucleus was made of a plastic egg and the chromosomes were made of gummy worms because chromosomes look like worms. The vacuoles were made of Snickers bars because they contain food or liquid. The chloroplasts were made of green gummy bears because chloroplasts are green, they are what makes the plant leaf look green and they make food from sunshine. The chloroplasts in the picture above look red, because they have been dyed. Really they are green. I'm going to see if my Dad will eat my cell model with me, because he loves jello.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks good dan. Check out this weird looking cell that's in your kidneys!

    http://sitemaker.umich.edu/ransom.lab/files/glomerulus.jpg

    ReplyDelete