Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Dragon!


On the last day before Christmas Dan finished this amazing dragon. We made it out of paper mache. One of Dan's essential design ideas was that the mouth had to open and close, so we made a jaw separately. When it dried, we connected the jaw with metal brads, and Dan painted the dragon, whose name is "Smaug" like the dragon in "The Hobbit." Then we wired it so that it has eyes that light up and a mouth that lights up when the switch is connected. Dan got to share it with his nephew Thomas just minutes after it was completed. Thomas caught on right away to how to switch it on by completing the circuit.

5 comments:

  1. Cool dragon, Dan! Looks like it was a fun project. I see you are reading Lord of the Rings now... how did you like The Hobbit? I would love to read a book review on it. It is one of my favorites, along with the Ring series. I like them because they demonstrate strength of character. The hobbits take on enormously important (and difficult) tasks, and they do everything within their power to follow through with what they say they will do. I admire that kind of courage.

    I like reading your posts and seeing your pictures... learning new things is what makes life fun!
    Hasta la vista :D (I'm learning Spanish!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Dragon, Dan! It looks like you're doing some really great stuff. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is s cool looking dragon! That is a good name for the dragon, haha. Hobbit was a good book, hope you liked reading it. You're doing great!
    Your cousin, Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I saw the dragon I said WOW its truely awesome.I wish I had made that.Its my favorite
    one of all.Youre doing great.Youre my favorite
    cousin.youre cousin mason.

    ReplyDelete